Sunday, October 09, 2005

News

Sorry for lack of presence around these parts, I guess nobody is checking in on me any more!

My abscence has largely been down to illness, I have been feeling really awful the last week with a nasty ear infection that seemed to take over my entire body, have just finished my antibiotics and my ear feels fine now but am still a bit washed out and tired. It sounds so stupid that an ear infection can make you feel so rubbish.

So, thursday 9.15am I get a call, "hi, its Julie from Guide dogs"
"hey I reply how are you?"
"fine and you?"
* I am feeling really down and a bit disheartened and dont want to have a phone call with someone telling me I didnt get the job and how crap I am*
She then went on to say "thank you for coming in for interview the other day it was really great meeting you".....*at this point I was about to butt in and say can you just give me some feedback please*
She said "Are you still interested in the job?" at this point I am silent not really underestanding and thinking that I have been unsuccesful yet again.
"If you are, the job is yours?" now I am in abject shock, my heart flutters and I just don't know whats going on.

So, finally after a year and one month of leaving my last job and 23 interviews later, I have finally hit the jackpot. I had no idea that it was going to be so hard and such an emotional roller coaster. I naively thought, I had great qualifications, lots of experience and worked for a really prestigous media organisation that getting employment would be a walk in the park. How wrong I was.......

Being visually impaired is a hard thing for employers to grasp, people just assume you cant use computers, you will never be able to find you way to work and will be a total alien. This is just so not the case, I have travelled all over Europe, America, and done soooo much cool stuff. I didnt ever really consider that my eyesight was such a big deal to people. I don't know what the impact of having albinism is as well on employers. Do they look at my pale golden hair and alabaster complexion and think I am the walking dead??? I just don't know, I have no hang ups with it all so find it really hard why other people would be-human beings are weirdos! Coincidently and I think it is a coincidence, I dyed my hair for the guide dog job and what do you know I got it.....don't think that really had anything to do with it, but then I guess I will never know.

Anyway so thats it really, have entered the land of the living again and am now going to be working in the corperate fundraisingy part of guide dogs......how cool, I am really excited and nervous all at the same time but just so relieved its actually all over!

Just booked a holiday to Munich with my boyfriend to go to the christmas markets at the beginning of December, should be lovely!

Thats it really, now off to check if ill bloke on couch is still alive (bless him xx)

5 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Stupid Spammers! They're being a pain again!

Glad to hear about you getting the job from Guide Dogs! I bet you are pleased, and you will be brilliant!

I bet that cheered you up after your illness and brightened your day up!

Good luck with the job LWS, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you and will read your blog to see how your job is!

3:36 PM  
Blogger L^2 said...

Hi Little White Smurf,

Congratulations on the job!!! That's so cool! I'd love to work at my dog guide school too.

-Laura and Leader Dog Willow

10:01 PM  
Blogger JustinR said...

That's great news! Congrats on getting the job! So, I expect you'll be starting soon.

Congratulations again :)

2:58 PM  
Blogger BloggingMone said...

WOW!!! Great News! See, you must have been very impressive at your interview... Hope you are happy with your new job.

3:40 PM  
Blogger BloggingMone said...

I could not resist having a look at the German Christmas Market site. There is a link to "German Christmas" where all our Chrismas habbits are explained. I had a few very good laughs! It is sooo funny to see things being explained in great detail which to me are just normal, just Christmas...same procedure as every year! Hope you and your boyfriend will have a good time in Munich.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home